Does garlic expire? How do we preserve garlic for a long time? Can peeled garlic be stored? We’ll tell you all about preserving garlic to enjoy all year round!
Garlic has been cultivated for over 5,000 years and is highly prized for its taste and properties For its ability to season dishes Just for its many health benefits (antihypertensive, expectorant, antioxidant, etc.). But to enjoy its vitality and flavors year-round, you still need it Learn how to store it ! Here’s everything you need to know to store garlic properly.
Does garlic expire?
Garlic may sprout, especially in the fall and spring. If so, this does not mean that the garlic is expired! You can still consume it Remove the germ if you fear bitterness, although it is completely edible. On the other hand, if your garlic has mold or spoiled parts, discard the damaged cloves to prevent them from contaminating your entire braid!
How to store garlic as long as possible?
To enjoy garlic all year round, store it in whole-headed braids. This can be kept for up to 6 months.Provided that it is placed in a dry, cool and well-ventilated place. Therefore, we avoid placing garlic heads in a closed container or too close to the oven in the kitchen.
How to store peeled garlic?
If the garlic is already peeled, it will not keep for more than a few days in the refrigerator. However, if you have peeled it a lot Cloves of garlicThere are some tips for Prolong its preservation !
- Preserved in olive oil : Heat a small pot ofoil Olives with garlic cloves, some rosemary sprigs and bay leaves. When the oil starts to boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer (but never boil). For approximately 45 minutes. Let it cool then put everything in a sterilized bowl. Stuffed garlic can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a month!
- Store in honey : Place the garlic cloves at the bottom of a sterilized jar and pour the liquid honey over it until it fills it ¾ (the preparation will swell). Close the jar and Leave it aside for a month Without opening it. Once the month has passed, you can eat this sweetened garlic with honey and keep it for at least a year!
Can you freeze garlic?
Yes, garlic can definitely be frozen, as long as you prepare it the right way. Heres how to do it:
- Peel and mash the garlic cloves.
- Mix this puree with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Divide this mixture into an ice cube tray, cover it with plastic wrap, then place it in the freezer.
frozen like this, You can keep garlic for 2 to 3 months And it will be easier to use it in your recipes!