You may have already tried this potato pie, but do you know how to cook it? Philippe Etchebest gives you all his tips for preparing mop-shaped apples to perfection!
Do you know the apple mop? This Lyon specialty sounds exactly like a Swiss Rosti, Stephanoise or Ardèche Cove! It is neither more nor less than A Pie from potatoes Grated Which is cooked in a frying pan. Very easy to say! But be careful, to get perfectly crispy, firm apples that do not stick to the pan, you need to know some tips… Discover the apple recipe from Philip Achebest And All the chef’s tips for success every time.
Ingredients of Apple Mop Philippe Etchebest
For this recipe, the chef recommends using Bentji potatoes, whose flesh holds together well to cook. Here are the ingredients to delight 4 gourmet.
- 800 grams of assorted Bentji potatoes
- 6 sprigs of fresh parsley + a few leaves for dressing
- 5 pinches of salt
- 2 pinches of Espelette pepper powder
- 90 grams ghee
- 2 cans of neutral oil
Preparing Philippe Etchebest’s Mop Apples
The easiest thing here is to have a mandoline to grate the potatoes, otherwise use your knives!
- Peel the potatoes, then dip them in a salad bowl filled with cold water.
- Grate the drained potatoes Thin slices on a mandoline Or with a thin knife and keep it with a clean cloth. Above all, do not rinse them, it is necessary to preserve their starch, thanks to this the potatoes will stick together when cooked.
- Season the grated potatoes with salt, Espelette pepper, and chopped parsley, and mix well.
- Heat a frying pan over high heat with neutral oil. Cover the bottom of the pan with grated potatoes and cook them over high heat to brown them, then reduce the heat.
- Cut the butter into small cubes, distribute it around the edges of the pan and cook over medium heat, never over high heat. This will slowly melt, penetrating the inside of the pie and nourishing the potatoes. This is the secret to getting beautiful caramel Prevent potatoes from sticking.
- Gently rotate the pan to loosen the pancake and then move it onto a plate to flip it. Continue cooking over medium heat Until you get a beautiful color on both sides.
When the cake is golden brown, it’s ready! Serve with a little cauliflower Salt and a few fresh parsley leaves.